Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Does Moving Suck?


Oh yes, yes it does. Moving is such a pain in the ass. Jeff and I have slowly been packing up our house every week for the last 2 months or so. I feel like I haven't made a dent in moving shit out of this little, tiny house. I swear the things you accumulate, and my house is only 980 square feet! So starting tomorrow, the large extraction begins.

Jeff and I have been trying to sell our house for almost a year and a half. We finally did it. In that span of time, we have been looking for a house. It feels like we have searched high and low and seen every available house in our price range in the 25 mile radius. To no avail! I asked our realtor if we were too picky, and I am sure in the back of her head she was thinking "Hell yah you are", but she politely responded that you need to find a home that you like and will be happy in. And she is right. I am really unimpressed with the type of homes that have been built in the last 40 years. The only thing newer homes have on ones from the 70's is the "newness" factor. Otherwise, most layouts completely suck. And wow, people have some hideous taste in decor and paint.

Needless to say, Jeff and I have finally decided to build. We are excited and apprehensive about this endeavour, but it makes the most sense for us. We have a beautiful plot of land waiting for us so now it is time to plan and plan and plan. Things seem to be falling in to place, but we will not be breaking ground until the Spring. It turns out that it takes about 4 months to transfer the land...a little longer than we anticipated. In a way I am relived that we have more time to plan and budget and research. I didn't want to be rushed into a home just to get one up.

So, in the mean time, we will be moving in with my mother. The original plan was not to live with her this long, but we will adjust. But the original plan did not account for my sister and her new husband also moving in there. It's going to be a bit of a challenge now. I love my sister and brother-in-law, but Lord will this be tight situation. I worry about keeping some semblance of my own little family unit in tact. I have always wondered what it would be like to live in a commune...and now I am going to get a little taste of it. I suspect it will be a little different since it's family. Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment