Sunday, February 15, 2009

Why can't we talk about it?

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle

Why is it that everyone wants to bar discussing politics or religion? So many people always use the same disclaimer: "Oh, I don't talk politics or religion." Why not?

Personally, I think they are the two most important topics to discuss, especially in this day and age! We need a revival of both in order to keep this country the great one that it has always been. The beauty of this country is that we are free to discuss both of these topics to our hearts desire and yet no one wants to talk about them!

They would certainly be the first topics missed if those subjects were banned and the repercussions were death or imprisionment.

When did we become such a complacant bunch of people? I think the problem is that people have lost the art of debate and conversation. I am always stunned when you are having a great discussion about a hot topic and some people just go crazy. Passion is very admireable and even I can get worked up over a subject. But some people just stop being rationale just because someone else doesn't see their perspective.

Truly it's good when people don't see 100% eye to eye. These are the exchanges that you learn the most from. I know that this is why I enjoy these subjects so much. Everyone has an opinion and comes from a different place. This is why these exchanges need to be had. We learn from other people and their experiences. People's experiences are so valuable and should be respected, even if you don't agree.

If people could just calm down and listen to others. Listen and really think about what another is saying. You could really learn something new or enhance a current perspective. We need to heed Aristotle's words and entertain people's ideas, we don't need to accept them. And I have so much respect for someone who can hear me out and give me a new way to look at a situation. This is really when I learn the most. So come on, bring me your politics and religion! I will always be ready for a good exchange!

2 comments:

  1. so true. i, too, avoid the topics w/ certain people but w/ the same thought: we should be able to talk about these things. i like the quote from aristotle: it puts it into perspective b/c those who can't entertain other ideas cannot do so probably b/c they are not confident that they can 100% support their beliefs w/ evidence/knowledge, etc...which supports aristotle's assertion that being able to entertain different beliefs w/o accepting then is a marker of education. ya think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is probably the case for many. I know that sometimes I avoid some conversations because I only have my opinion and nothing to back it up...but opinions are just as valid. It's the sum of our life experiences that can really be what is valuable and we should not discount those so easily. We just need to remember that we don't have to be right, we just need to have input...I think!

    ReplyDelete